Saturday, December 19, 2009

Toward Me

A few days ago I had a rare, stolen day off work.  Rather than grading papers or planning next week's curriculum, I basked in a day all to myself: yoga, home made soup, a manicure, movie trailers, and a moment to ponder future possibilities.

For a while now I've been dreaming up a school I want to one day open.  This week it all came a little more in to focus.  Interdisciplinary inquiry learning; authentic projects; strong habits of mind; college preparation.  And food!  Cooking, gardening, growing, and eating.  It could happen.  I think I can see it.  Virginia Woolf said every woman needs a room of one's own.  My problem is that I can't decide if my room should be a kitchen or a classroom.  Ms. Woolf, I want them both, please.

Just to be clear, I know almost nothing about cultivating food.  In fact, I'm so bad with plants that Greg has taken over the care of all green things living with us.  And I'm still just learning to cook.  I'm hoping (a la Julia Child and Ina Garten) to continue on my path of self-taught chefery.  But, I do know a thing or two about eating.  Had I been born a bit shorter and stouter, I would've made a great hobbit.  Breakfast, second breakfast, elevensees, lunch, afternoon tea, and supper.  This dining schedule works perfectly for me on two accounts: 1) one gets to enjoy six meals a day, and 2) as a girl who enjoys the early morning, I subscribe to the notion of three meals before lunch has rolled around.

So, here's to the journey.  Toward learning, toward growing, toward teaching, and eating.

3 comments:

  1. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my girl. I'm excited to go on the journey with you. You have indeed become an interesting woman. I am proud and blessed. I love you. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! I love your blog. You are a great writer. A good thing in a blog world. I hope you can start a classroom kitchen :-) I have a friend who is taking a course in organic gardening right now...I bet they have one in NYC that you could do. You could have the garden on your roof top maybe. See you soon. Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing sarah, we will both be learning about food

    ReplyDelete