Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Apricot Quinoa Salad

It's that time of the summer when I start to feel the upcoming school year creeping ever closer, and I begin to lament my completely uncompleted "to do" summer list.  This is a mental list I make mid-June, anticipating the never ending days of summer that lay before me, knowing with certainty that I will make the most of every minute.  Le sigh.
To date, the linens/medicine closet has still not been cleaned out.  Who knows what lives in it at this point.  I have not written a single letter or email to catch up with people who I think of often but talk with never.  I assigned two educational summer reading books to the teachers at my school; have I read either of them yet?  Um, no.  Nor have I cooked profiteroles for my friend, JD.  But I will.  I will make profiteroles...someday.
I have, however, spent many a fine day with friends and family this summer.  And I have traveled here and there.  And been to the beach on more than one occasion.  And I have been running--without rest, it sometimes seems.  These things are not without merit.  I just forgot to put them on my list back in June.  Henceforth, writing a "to do" list will be much simpler: I will simply record the enjoyable items that I figure I will accomplish regardless.  Not sure why I didn't figure this out earlier...
Well, at least I have delicious food in my fridge and a new happy salad to share with you.  It's a quinoa salad.  Quinoa is amazingly good for you and endlessly versatile.  Only problem is, it never quite floats my boat.  Recently I was directed to try red quinoa (as opposed to the regular cream colored type) for its slightly sweeter flavor.  Turns out, not at all bad.  Happy tummy, happy body.
Apricot Quinoa Salad, adapted from #99 of this fantabulous article.  Just toss in ingredients that please you, to taste.  Here's what I threw in.

3/4 C uncooked red quinoa (cook and cool first)
4 apricots, chopped
1/3 C dried cranberries
1 large scallion, sliced
1/2 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
Juice from 1 lemon
Lotsa fresh ground black pepper

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment