Saturday, January 9, 2010

Om

Just got back from my first yoga practice of the year.  At the start of practice today I could not even touch the floor in a forward fold--this is when you know it's been too long.  By the end of class I was back to my regular I-can-mostly-touch-floor-in-a-forward-fold pose.  Good enough for now.

Actually, this is one of my favorite things about yoga: the practice.  As opposed to learning an instrument or playing a competitive sport, yoga does not culminate in a performance or a competition.  Instead, it is forever a personal practice.  Each time you come to your mat, you practice yoga; this is true whether it's your first time or you are a yogi guru.  One of my instructors sometimes reminds us that even when we someday are able to achieve that elusive pose we secretly covet mastery over, our lives will be no better.  It's just a pose.  I like this.  That said, however, I would love to do crow without falling over.

My maybe favorite thing about group practice is opening and closing with "om."  At the start of class, each voice is distinct, off key, awkwardly self-aware.  By the end of class, though, the final om is solid, as if emanating from one satisfied voice.  I love this om.

No comments:

Post a Comment