Monday, April 23, 2012

Avocado Kale Salad

This past winter I bought kale frequently and sauteed it with olive oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and some red pepper flakes.  Also tasted good with some grated Parmesan.  But now that the weather's getting warmer, I have a new favorite way to eat it.  Very easy to prepare, too.

Start with a soft avocado and a lemon.  Mush together the avocado with the lemon juice to create a thick salad dressing.  I've been using a 1-to-1 ratio, but you should play with it to see what you like.  I also add salt and pepper.  Wash your kale and tear it into bite sized pieces.  In a bowl combine the kale and dressing; use your hands to massage the dressing into the kale so that all the leaves are evenly covered.  The best part is that your hands get messy and you get to lick the avocado off your fingers.  (If you like that sort of thing.  I surely do.)

That's your base.  Then you get to add whatever sounds delicious or you have on hanging out in your fridge.  I added tomatoes, scallions, dried cranberries, and cucumber.  If I had had basil, I would have added that, too.  Strawberries or blueberries would also be amazing.  The lemon in the dressing really perks up the kale and offsets its heavy bitterness.
Okay.  Go make this now.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment